The ProQuest Training Program at Higher College of Technology organized by Ministry of Manpower in collaboration with Educational Technology Center last January 21, 2019 from 9:00am to 2:00pm at N417. It was attended by the key staff members from all the Colleges of Technology across the Sultanate. Dr. Kalilur Rahman, HCT library staff with Ms. Najiya Al Omrani, Head of Library Services Section - HCT are both the focal point as assigned by Mrs. Rehana Al Ameer, Head of ETC-HCT to manage the ProQuest in HCT, were one of the attendees of the training. ProQuest is an e-Resources to be utilized by all the students and staff of Colleges of Technology.
Mr. Anas Abdlehadi, Mr. Rashad Fares and Mr. Anas Obaid were the trainers and the training was divided into two sessions. The first session was conducted by Mr. Anas Abdelhadi, who gave a brief introduction about ProQuest and its resources, followed by Mr. Rashad Fares. During Mr. Fares presentation he discussed about the following:
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest Theses & Dissertation
- ProQuest Academic Complete (e-Book)
He also explained the following: (1) How to Access the Portal; (2) How to Use the Databases and its Various Features. The first session were interactive as many of the participants ask questions which were clarified by Mr. Fares proficient explanation.
After the tea break, Mr. Anas Obaid started the second session wherein a demo was conducted. All the participants had a hands-on experience which consists of the following: (1) ProQuest e-Books; (2) ProQuest Central and; (3) ProQuest Dissertation and Theses Global. Mr. Obaid also showed the participants the following:
- Creating an Account to Access ProQuest Databases
- Creating an Account to Access ProQuest Central
- Creating an Account to Access ProQuest e-Books
- How to Use the Various Features of the Three Databases
During his discussion, he was able to explained the importance of creating an account in each databases as well as the databases itself. He mentioned in his presentation that you can use different types of research such as: (1) basic search, (2) advance search; (3) browse and; (4) alert service. The following information was also mentioned:
- ProQuest e-Books has approximately 780,000 titles and 1,350 imprints from more than 650 publishers for all major subjects
- ProQuest Dissertation and Theses includes 4 millions works from more than 3,000 universities all over the world.
The presentation was very informative, concise and clear.