Civil & Architectural Engineering
Land surveying is the technique, profession, and science of accurately determining the terrestrial or three-dimensional position of points and the distances and angles between them. These points are usually on the surface of the Earth, and they are often used to establish land maps and boundaries for ownership or governmental purposes.
The importance’s of Land Survey are as given below:
- The determination of the size and shape of the earth and the measurement of all data needed to define the size, position, shape and contour of any part of the earth and monitoring any change therein.
- The positioning of objects in space and time as well as the positioning and monitoring of physical features, structures and engineering works on, above the surface of the earth.
- The acquisition and use of spatial information from close range, aerial and satellite imagery and the automation of these processes.
- The determination of the position of the boundaries of public or private land, including national and international boundaries, and the registration of those lands with the appropriate authorities.
- The design, establishment and administration of geographic information systems (GIS) and the collection, storage, analysis, management, display and dissemination of data.
- The analysis, interpretation and integration of spatial objects and phenomena in GIS, including the visualization and communication of such data in maps, models and mobile digital devices.
- The study of the natural and social environment, the measurement of land resources and the use of such data in the planning of development in urban, rural and regional areas.
- The planning, development, assessment of value, management & redevelopment of property, whether urban or rural and whether land or buildings.
There are wide ranges of job opportunity in Oman for land surveyor. A professional land surveyor can get job in the Public (Government) sectors like Ministry of Defense (NSA: National Survey Authority), RAFO (Royal Arm Force of Oman), Ministry of Housing, in Municipalities, Ministry of Education, Oil and Gas Company like PDO, In private sectors all construction companies like Gulfar, Al-ANSARI etc, All Mapping Companies like Fugro, Rolta ME, Warly Pearsons. They can also get job in Electricity Company, Water Distribution Company.